Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sammy the Settled

    My first official week in Edinburgh has finally given way and already I find myself grasping to the days, terrified of when it all ends. The city is wonderful, beautiful, and a series of other praising terms, but perhaps best of all, it just fits. Walking to class this morning, I was struck by how comfortable I feel here. It's akin to when a new acquaintance seems like a old friend because the two of you get along so astonishingly well. I wouldn't be boastful enough to say Edinburgh is tailored to me because in reality, I think this city has the ability to sweep most individuals off their feet. However, nothing seems out of place. My classes are fantastic, my dorm is never dull as well as exceeding friendly and the streets already seem to lay out in a familiar manner.
    My birthday weekend was fantastic. Saturday started with a trip to St. Andrew's, a seaside town that holds the coffee shop were Kate and William apparently first began their romance. Believe me, if ever a place pulsed with romance, it's this one. Forget about Paris and Rome because this enchanting area is filled with historical ruins, friendly pubs complete with even friendlier canines and a ever present view of St. Andrew's Bay. Additionally, if the charm of this town doesn't sweep you off your feet, the wind certainly will. I plan to revisit many times during my stay in Scotland.
     We parted from St. Andrew's and returned to Edinburgh around 6:00 pm, giving me enough time to run back to my dorm to ready myself for birthday celebrations. Paired with a wonderful company of international students, I began my night with a very nice bottle of dry Prosecco. We then wandered to the Library Pub in Teviot, the student union. The Library Pub gets its name from the antique books that line its walls and the sophisticated atmosphere, which is probably far less impressive to regulars. It's a student favorite and is bound to become one of mine as well. All in all, the night was full of good times and although away from home for the first time, I found it more than easy to make it a memorable birthday in Edinburgh.
    One of convenient parts of study abroad is that Mondays no longer cause the same anxiety that they once did. No matter where I am in the world, sociology readings will always wet my appetite for discussion and thus I was more than ready to go to classes and begin the scholastic week. One of my classes, Theories of Power, is absolutely wonderful. It's filled mostly with fourth years and post grads, making the discussion rapid and challenging. Additionally, the professor does a wonderful job of playing devil's advocate so there's never an unturned stone while developing one's argument. We're diving into some better-known works such as Machiavelli's The Prince as well as the more obscure pieces in power theory development. As I said before, no matter what facet of Edinburgh I'm exploring, it just seems to fit, whether it's academic, social or spatial. So, for today, I am Sammy the Settled, satisfied with all the choices that have led me to this wonderful place and excited at the endless opportunities it holds.
   

2 comments:

  1. I finally took the placement exam-- much easier than JCMU. I wish it had been entirely spoken, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sammy! You should feel like you fit in Edinburgh! Your ancestors lived in most of the castles around there! In fact, at Fyvie Castle - the first Lord of the castle was Henry Preston - as in Charles Preston - Pepe, Uncle Chuckie, etc. We're all direct descendants. Lots and lots of our ancestors came from there. Robert the Bruce, etc. Good stock! In a sense you're home - again :-)
    Enjoy. XO Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete